Event: 2015 FIBA Americas Championship for men
Bronze Medal Game: Canada 87 vs. 86 Mexico
Date: 12 September 2015
The FIBA Official Basketball Rules 2014 were applied in this game.
On this play, White-6 commits an Unsportsmanlike Foul on Green-12 while Green-10 is dribbling.
After that, During the Dead Ball, Technical Fouls are called against Green-12 and White-6 for behavior towards each other.
The game resumes with two (2) free throws for Green-12 and possession of the ball for team Green.
Reaction time to make decisions.
What causes the atmosphere of the game to change?
FIBA Official Basketball Rules 2017 – Art. 36 – Technical Foul
36.3.3. A player shall be disqualified for the remainder of the game when he is charged with 2 technical fouls, or 2 unsportsmanlike fouls, or with 1 unsportsmanlike foul and 1 technical foul.
Applying the FIBA Official Basketball Rules 2017, in this play situation (video FA1835), all fouls shall be recorded as follows:
• A technical foul against a player shall be indicated by entering a ‘T’.
• An unsportsmanlike foul against a player shall be indicated by entering an ‘U’.
• Any foul involving a free throw(s) shall be indicated by adding the corresponding number of free throws (1, 2 or 3) beside the ‘P’, ‘T’, ‘C’, ‘B’, ‘U’ or ‘D’.
• A technical foul against a player with an earlier unsportsmanlike foul or an unsportsmanlike foul against a player with an earlier technical foul shall also be indicated by entering an ‘U’ or ‘T’ followed by a ‘GD’ in the next following space.
• All fouls against both teams involving penalties of the same severity and canceled according to Art. 42 shall be indicated by adding a small ‘c’ beside the ‘P’, ‘T’, ‘C’, ‘B’, ‘U’ or ‘D’.
FIBA Rules 2017 – Art. 42 Special Situations
In the same stopped-clock period which follows an infraction, special situations may arise when additional foul(s) are committed.
42.2.1. All fouls shall be charged and all penalties identified.
42.2.2. The order in which all infractions occurred shall be determined.
42.2.3. All equal penalties against the teams and all double foul penalties shall be canceled in the order in which they were called. Once the penalties have been recorded and canceled they are considered as never having occurred.
42.2.4. The right to possession of the ball as part of the last penalty shall cancel any prior rights to possession of the ball.
OFFICIAL BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS – February 2018
36-30 Example: A1 has committed an unsportsmanlike foul during the 1st half for stopping with an unnecessary contact the progress of the offensive team in transition. A technical foul is called against him during the 2nd half for faking being fouled.
Interpretation: A1 shall be automatically disqualified and shall go to and remain in the team’s dressing room for the duration of the game or, if he so chooses, he shall leave the building.
The technical foul is the only foul to be penalized and no additional penalty for the disqualification shall be administered. The scorer must notify an official immediately when a player has committed 1 unsportsmanlike foul and 1 technical foul and should automatically be disqualified.
Considering the FIBA Official Rules 2017 and the play situation in this video, White-6 must be automatically disqualified and shall go to and remain in the team’s dressing room for the duration of the game or, if he so chooses, he shall leave the building.
White-6 has committed 1 unsportsmanlike foul and 1 technical foul.